What's new
iamretro

Wow! It seems you have yet to create an account with us! Needless to say, you have to register in order to get the full "iamretro" experience! You will then be able to create your own topics, reply to posts and be an active member of the MOST prolific community in Greece (even further than that, but we're being modest for now). So don't delay! REGISTER!

To Putty Squad "κυκλοφορησε" για CD32

supacoopa

Retro Member
Comrade
To Putty Squad, το πολυ ομορφο unreleased platform της System 3 που βγηκε επισημα σε μορφη ADF στα τελη του 2013, εγινε port στο CD32!

Παρα τις δυσκολιες, καθως το παιχνιδι επιανε ολοκληρα τα 2MB της chip RAM (και ετσι δεν μπορουσε να τρεξει στο CD32 που αφηνει ελευθερα μονο 1.9ΜΒ), πεντε μελη του EAB καταφεραν το "ακατορθωτο" και ετσι μπορουμε πλεον να τρεξουμε το Putty Squad σε stock CD32.

Πληροφοριες και download link (με μπονους το επισης πανεμορφο Aladdin για CD32) εδω:
http://www.indieretronews.com/2015/11/p ... w-its.html

chriskgnr

Retro Guru
Comrade
ξερει κανεις απο προγραμματιστικης πλευρας τι εκαναν και χωρεσε στα 1.9ΜΒ του CD32?

nkary

Too Retro to post!
Comrade
chriskgnr said:
ξερει κανεις απο προγραμματιστικης πλευρας τι εκαναν και χωρεσε στα 1.9ΜΒ του CD32?
Το παρακάτω βοηθάει?

Just a little background about this. When I was working out the final memory requirements I set the game to 2Mb chip and played through the entire game, letting it load each section and all enemies plus the end sequence. Then quit hte game and looked through the memory dump.

Although in total the game uses far less than 2Mb chip, it (stupidly) has bits scattered all through memory. The game runs at $3000 which is very low, I imagine you couldn't allocate absolute memory at $3000 for the chip section. Then at some stage, it's writing to about $1fb000, which is almost at the end of chip memory!

I guess John Twiddy worked out what "safe" lengths for each section were and worked out a memory map along the lines of "this restore buffer here shouldn't need more than $2000 so it can go at $xxxxxx" and did that for the entire game.

So it's not such a trivial thing to change, even though if you totalled up all the memory required it would probably be more like 1.5Mb. It's just scattered in chunks
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=71936

chriskgnr

Retro Guru
Comrade
αν καταλαβα καλα, άλλαξε στο χάρτη μνήμης το που γράφονταν τα δεδομένα. Απο πολύ ψηλά στο τελος του χαρτη μνημης, τα μετέφερε χαμηλά στην αρχη του χαρτη μνημης.

glaros

Retro Member
Comrade
Μπορεί να γίνει το κόλπο με την μνήμη και σε αλλα games ?